Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Ballet Under the Stars

On Sunday, some friends and I went to Ballet Under the Stars in Woodland Park. The show was a wonderful combination of precious students and professional ballet dancers from around the world. I came to the realization, that any time during an artistic dance performance, I will always tear up. Which is kind of ironic because I rarely cry. While sitting there, I had a minor debate with myself (this debate was not out loud, although I am sometimes known to debate things by myself out in my car...my mother, who is mental health expert, says there is nothing wrong with that, but when I start to hear voices, to let her know...) On that note, I decided that the majority of the time I don't cry because of the emotions attached to the dance, but it's me facing the reality that I will probably never set foot on a stage ever again... well, short of having a roommate find me with my ipod blasting in my ears dancing around my room, the performance aspect of my life is gone forever. I can't help to hear a song and visual a movement of bodies across a stage; how they will interact and cross paths, the differently levels of energy when their is a simple dance in the music. You can take a plan song and make a powerful dance to do it. For example, a few weeks ago on "So you think you can dance" their was a dance choreographed to the Jordan Sparks song "Battlefield." Before seeing the dance, I was unfimilar with the song. However, the dance was so well excuted and hand powerful choreography, that I couldn't help but like the song (which I probably would not have liked if I heard the song first and then saw a dance performed to it...) However, there are some songs that just make a dancers move without lifting a limb, and that is when most dancers desire to be on stage the most.

3 of these songs to me are..

Endangered Species - Dianne Reeves
This Women's Work- Maxwell
Happing Ending- Mika


Here are some of my favorite dance clips...

With all the Words- Jodie Manross

Release


5 comments:

  1. Sarah-
    I love the picture in your title! It is really beautiful. Did you take this? If so, I want to go there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! just ran across your blog today, its stellar! and your photo header is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want you to update your blog :) so I can leave you sweet comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah Spunt,

    I just found your blog linked to Jenna's. Why do you never update? Please do, so I can more effectively stalk you.

    Also, let's please go to Ballet Under the Stars again this summer.

    Love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel, the phone is at Malibu Club in Canada- the YL camp!! If you go, let me know because I want to go back

    ReplyDelete